Medical Emergency Relief International (Merlin)
International Health NGO
Location: Indonesia (Calang and ABBA)
Closing date: 20 Jul 2010
Position: Construction Manager (Calang and ABBA)
Responsible To: Project Coordinators (with coordination vai PC / Calang)
Responsible For: Construction Teams project-sites;
Location: Calang, Indonesia, with visits to Banda Aceh, Indonesia (with extensive traveling)
Start Date: a.s.a.p.
Duration: 6 months (31st December 2007)
Allowance: £15,574 – £20,765 per annum dependant on relevant experience, an annual cost of living allowance, insurance cover, accommodation and return flights. Please note that this is an unaccompanied position.
Merlin International Profile
Merlin is the only UK specialist agency, founded in 1993, which responds worldwide, with vital healthcare and medical relief for vulnerable people affected by natural disasters, conflict and healthcare collapse. Each year, Merlin assists more than 15 million people, in up to 20 countries, through working with local healthcare actors including government, community groups and NGOs.
After the initial emergency response to the impact of the tsunami disaster of December 2004, Merlin Indonesia is currently engaged, both with local authorities, as well as local NGOs and communities, in a rehabilitation programme, which includes (re)construction of 102 health facilities, outfitting these with equipment, furniture and supplies, watsan activities, training of health staff, health and hygiene awareness raising programmes and other appropriate activities. These activities take place in four locations in Aceh province, namely Banda Aceh town, and the sub-districts of Aceh Besar, Calang and Bireuen.
While Merlin Indonesia is hoping to complete its tsunami response activities by end of 2007, it is at the same time identifying other opportunities and activities for Merlin in Indonesia, which may result in a longer presence in-country, beyond 2007.
The Construction Manager will be responsible for all technical aspects related to rehabilitation and/or reconstruction of health facilities and infrastructure in Bireuen and Aceh Besar operational sub districts as well as for the planning, management and execution of all construction activities under the responsibility of the respective Program Coordinator.
Operational Management Responsibility
– Responsible for the coordination of rehabilitation and reconstruction activities of health facilities in Calang and Aceh Besar operational sub districts
– Responsible for assuring quality, cost effectiveness, and timeliness of reconstruction projects through overseeing the work of the Contractors.
– Ensure monitoring systems are in place and that construction progress is reviewed periodically in conjunction with the national engineering team and providing feedback to the respective Program Coordinators
– Represent Merlin to local and national authorities, NGOs, and other parties as necessary.
– Ensure all relevant technical authorities are included in the planning and implementation of projects as appropriate
– Submits monthly written updates to the Project Coordinators on progress of rehabilitation and reconstruction activities
– Provide technical support to all sub-contractors as required
– Ensure Merlin reconstruction programme activities are implemented according to Merlin policy and recognised international standards.
Staff Management / HR
– Manage rehabilitation and reconstruction staff effectively, including appropriate and systemic delegation
– Line manage reconstruction programme staff, including performance management and appraisals
– Take an active part in the recruitment of related programme staff in coordination with Project Coordinators. This will involve the writing of accurate job descriptions and conducting interviews.
– Enhance technical skills and knowledge of national staff
– Carry out any other responsibilities as requested by the Project Coordinators
– Produce written end of post handover report.
Skills and knowledge
– Professional qualification in Architecture or Engineering with background in Construction Project Management
– Demonstrated competence in construction in the developing world
– Knowledge and practical understanding of and ability to work within both relief and development NGO contexts
– Use of a range of management tools to ensure effective running of the programmes, staff management and development
– Communications skills – written and oral
– Team working, flexibility and relationship building skills. Calm under pressure.
– Problem solving skills in day-to-day and crises situations
– Fluent in written and spoken English language
– Previous assignments of engineering and construction related project management and design of buildings
– Significant experience in an overseas humanitarian assignment Is that any sort of experience or could we be more specific about the responsibilities they must have had?
– Significant experience of reconstruction or rehabilitation project management
– Excellent computer skills, including MS office programs, MS Project
– Experience of communicating and representation with a range of people, organisations and cultures
– Understanding of security management necessary to live and work in a field environment
– Knowledge of data collection methods and data analysis skills
– Ability to reflect on and learn from personal and programme performance and act upon lessons learnt
To apply for this vacancy
Please download an application form from our website http://www.merlin.org.uk Completed applications should be emailed to email@example.com stating in the subject field the job title, country and reference number (if any). Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be short listed on a regular basis and we may offer this post before the closing date. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Reference Code: RW_74CHKQ-76