Finance and Administration Manager
Medical Emergency Relief International (Merlin)
International health NGO
Closing date: 24 Jun 2007
Position: Finance and Administration Manager
Responsible To: Country Director
Working With: Country Management Team; Project Teams (Project Finance Officers); Finance Officer-London;
Start Date: A.S.A.P
Duration: up to 31st December 2007, with possibility of extension
Allowance: £18,540 – 23,731 per annum – dependent on relevant experience. Plus insurance cover, accommodation, return flights, the above includes a cost of living allowance of £387 per month.
Merlin International Profile
Merlin is the only UK specialist charity, founded in 1993, which responds worldwide, with vital healthcare and medical relief for vulnerable people affected by natural disasters, conflict and healthcare collapse. Each year, Merlin assists more than 15 million people, in up to 20 countries, through working with local healthcare actors including government, community groups and NGOs.
Context and background
After the initial emergency response to the impact of the tsunami disaster of December 2004, Merlin Indonesia is currently engaged, both with local authorities, as well as local NGOs and communities, in a rehabilitation programme, which includes (re)construction of 102 health facilities, outfitting these with equipment, furniture and supplies, watsan activities, training of health staff, health and hygiene awareness raising programmes and other appropriate activities. These activities take place in four locations in Aceh province, namely Banda Aceh town, and the sub-districts of Aceh Besar, Calang and Bireuen.
While Merlin Indonesia is hoping to complete its tsunami response activities by end of 2007, it is at the same time identifying other opportunities and activities for Merlin in Indonesia, which may result in a longer presence in-country, beyond 2007.
– Ensure that proper financial procedures and systems are developed, implemented and maintained at individual sites, in accordance with Merlin procedures.
– Ensure compliance with the financial policies and guidelines of Merlin and donors.
– Ensure compliance with the reporting requirements of Merlin.
– Ensure compliance with local regulations in respect of financial and other matters (eg Registration, FX, taxation and labour laws).
– Ensure transparency and accountability in all budget expenditures and authorization
– Co-ordinate and maintain a cash forecasting system to ensure adequate funds are available to meet program requirements.
– Monitor ongoing levels of expenditure on individual programmes as against budget and provide timely advice of likely over and under spends.
– Advise CD and CMT on financial / administrative management matters, whether upon request or voluntarily, on issues impacting on programme development, potential financial risks, and matters relating to both closure and opening of projects.
– Regularly report to CD, CMT, PCs and others on financial data analysis in terms of programme / project progress.
– Prepare budgets, amendments and forecasts working with the Country Director and others.
– Prepare donor financial reports in line with donor reporting requirements.
– Ensure reconciliation between management information and ledger records.
– Conduct internal audits for the field sites every three months, to ensure that all financial and administrative procedures are carried out in line with Merlin Guidelines and local Legislation.
– Work with CMT to assess potential local NGO partners in terms of financial capacity
– Ensure that contractual commitments (e.g. for the rental of vehicles and/or premises) are expressed in forms appropriate for the circumstances of the programme.
Administration and Human Resources
– Ensure that all expatriate staff are in-country on appropriate visas and that their personal files are kept updated.
– Ensure that all national staff have up-to-date contracts, up-to-date personal files and that contractual obligations are adhered to.
– Maintain Administrative systems and procedures across all sites.
– Participate as a member of the Country Management Team.
– Supervise the financial and administrative staff.
– Provide support, training and advice to staff as required.
– Pay regular visits to Field sites for regular coaching and support, training, monitoring and supervision purposes.
– Work closely with Project Finance Officers and provide supervision and support as required
– Ensure budgetary implications are understood by respective all staff.
– Trained accountant or equivalent experience
– In depth knowledge of financial systems, financial/administrative management and reporting
– Experience of field financial management
– Experience of reporting requirements
– Experience of implementing financial control systems at field level
– Experience of field administrative / HR management
– IT Literate including EXCEL,
– Good team player
– Pro-active financial manager with risk assessment aptitude
– Good training/capacity building and management skills
– Previous experience of working in Asia/NGO sector
– Experience of logistics systems
– Focused individual with capacity to plan and manage in a multiple deadline working environment
– Understanding of security issues and guidelines
Please note, on submitting your application, you are agreeing to Merlin holding and using the information that you have given for the purposes of recruitment and employment – should an offer be made.
– In order to process your job application, it may be necessary for your application to be sent to the Country Director (in the country you are applying for) for consideration. If you do not agree with this, please can you state so when applying.
– Please note that this is an unaccompanied position.
– Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
– Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be short listed on a regular basis and we may offer this post before the closing date.
To apply for this position: Please download an application form from our website http://www.merlin.org.uk
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com
Reference Code: RW_73WFJW-92