British Red Cross
Emergency relief and Recovery
Location: Indonesia (Aceh Province)
Closing date: 05 Jul 2007
Position title: Finance Manager
Reporting to: Support Services Manager
Responsible for: Approximately 10 staff
Based in: Aceh Province with some travel to Jakarta, Indonesia
Contract length: 6 months (extendable)
Background to Programme
The British Red Cross Society (BRCS) is implementing a programme in conjunction with the Indonesian Red Cross (PMI) to assist the survivors of the December 2004 earthquake and tsunami. The programme intends to distribute cash grants to 10, 000 families, to build homes for up to 2,200 families, to assist in the rebuilding of communities and to enable these communities to implement disaster risk reduction activities. The programme began in May 2005 and will be completed by June 2008. The total budget is $80 m.
Purpose of position
The Finance Manager is responsible, under the overall control of the Support Services Manager and supported by UK Office International Finance, for the management of funds, budgets administration, and insurance of the programme and for supporting the programme in contractual matters and contributing to the overall achievement of programme goals.
The Finance Manager will be expected to build the capacity of the Indonesian staff in financial and administrative controls.
Specific duties and responsibilities
1. Manage the funds and financial assets of the BRCS project office, under the overall direction of the Support Services Manager. This will include cash flow and cost control management as well as the management of the payments, cashier, bank signatory and payroll functions.
2. Coordinate the revision and management of the programme budget and financial plan, under the direction of the Support Services Manager and in close coordination with the Programme Manager
3. Implement and improve the financial management procedures of the programme, ensuring they are aligned and compliant with UK Office procedures and ensure compliance where required with International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies procedures, and generally accepted accounting practice in an international NGO context.
4. Ensure effective and efficient financial management of the programme, preparing for external audit and financial reporting to UK Office
5. Supervising national finance staff, training and developing staff, appraisals, and recruitment of new staff.
6. Supervise the Project Accountant and ensure that an effective management reporting system is operating.
7. Ensure appropriate insurance for staff and property and associated programme goods and activities in liaison with BRCS UK Office
8. Advise the programme staff on financial matters and establish policies and procedures for the programme.
9. Manage the planning, implementation and monitoring of the project from a financial perspective.
10. Assist the programme in drafting; negotiating and controlling the issuing of contracts on behalf of the programme and together with the Logistics Delegate maintain a register of contracts.
11. Maintain accurate registers of the assets and property of the project ensuring its efficient usage, with regular physical verification of the assets.
12. Manage the flow of funds held in Indonesia, ensuring the monthly cash requests and forecasts are submitted to UK Office funds are available when required by the programme.
13. Compile monthly financial and narrative reports for UK Office and for external donors (especially DEC) as required. Ensure all staff submits regular, timely and accurate financial and narrative reports as necessary.
14. Monitor the budget of the project and ensure accurate accounting, authorisation & internal control procedures and through the Project Accountant discuss the monthly budget reports with budget holders and investigate and address significant variances.
15. Support and represent the Support Services Manager as required, and keep him/her informed of relevant developments.
16. Work closely with the PMI and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies as applicable.
17. Liaise with international, government and non-government agencies in the assigned area, as necessary
Duties applicable to all
1. To work towards the achievement of overall programme goals through effective managerial and lateral relations and team work.
2. To understand roles, responsibilities and activities across the programme establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other staff, volunteers and with the technical and service departments at regional and BRCS UK Office level.
3. To develop and maintain good working relationships with communities served by the programme, throughout the Movement, other agencies, BRR and GOI and local representatives, ensuring that they are kept informed of programme goals, progress and results.
4. To ensure that programme activities are consistent with the Red Cross Code of Conduct and BRCS policies and to uphold the Fundamental Principles of the RC/RC Movement.
5. To develop and maintain, in conjunction with the M&E unit, an effective monitoring and evaluation system.
6. To promote and facilitate the capacity building and development of staff and volunteers.
7. To ensure that knowledge transfer within the programme, PMI and the BRCS is achieved, by documenting as appropriate for the current programme and for future use.
8. To perform other work related duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Programme Manager.
In good mental and physical health
Qualified accountant (ACA, CIMA or equivalent)
Experience in planning, budgeting and writing financial reports
Experience in audit, cost control and financial decision making
Experience of managing, training and supporting staff and handing over responsibilities
Experience in donor reporting
Experience in recovery programmes
Experience of working with a Red Cross National Society
Exposure to humanitarian work in South East Asia
Languages – English – proficient oral and written
Self-supporting in computers (Windows, spreadsheets, etc.)
Ability to coordinate within a diverse team whilst working independently
Red Cross Basic Training Course
Experience of accounting procedures and systems
Experience in insurance and contracting
Previous overseas Red Cross experience
Experience of working for a humanitarian aid agency in a developing country
Valid international or national driving license (manual gears)
Languages – Bahasa Indonesia
– commitment to the Red Cross and Red Crescent movement
– integrity and high standards of personal conduct
– sensitivity to diversity
– flexibility and adaptability
– initiative and directive
– interpersonal skills
This job description and person specification may be subject to change as a result of operational requirements.
Reference Code: RW_74DEK5-50