Watsan and Sanitation Manager
Medical Emergency Relief International (Merlin)
International Health NGO
Location: Indonesia (Calang and Aceh Besar)
Closing date: 20 Jul 2007
Position: Watsan and Sanitation Manager (Calang and Aceh Besar)
Responsible To: Project Coordinators (with coordination via PC / Calang)
Working With: Watsan Project Teams
Start Date: A.S.A.P
Duration: up to 31st December 2007
Allowance: £15,574 – £20,765 per annum dependant on relevant experience, an annual cost of living allowance, insurance cover, accommodation and return flights. Please note that this is an unaccompanied position.
Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be short listed on a regular basis and we may offer this post before the closing date. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Merlin International Profile
Merlin is the only UK specialist charity, founded in 1993, which responds worldwide, with vital healthcare and medical relief for vulnerable people affected by natural disasters, conflict and healthcare collapse. Each year, Merlin assists more than 15 million people, in up to 20 countries, through working with local healthcare actors including government, community groups and NGOs.
Context and background
After the initial emergency response to the impact of the tsunami disaster of December 2004, Merlin Indonesia is currently engaged, both with local authorities, as well as local NGOs and communities, in a rehabilitation programme, which includes (re)construction of 102 health facilities, outfitting these with equipment, furniture and supplies, WatSan activities, training of health staff, health and hygiene awareness and other appropriate activities. These activities take place in four locations in Aceh province, namely Banda Aceh town, and the sub-districts of Aceh Besar, Calang and Bireuen.
While Merlin Indonesia is hoping to complete its tsunami response activities by end of 2007, it is at the same time identifying other opportunities and activities for Merlin in Indonesia, which may result in a longer presence in-country, beyond 2007.
The role as a WatSan Manager in this programme is to supervise all the WatSan team activities in Calang, West Coast of Aceh, as well as limited activities in Aceh Besar project (until September 2007). The WatSan Manager, in consultation with Project Coordinators, has to take responsibility in overseeing and managing all operations of the Calang and ABBA water and sanitation projects (incl. wells, gravity water supply system, rainwater harvesting, latrines and laboratory analysis).
1. To oversee and manage the implementation of the Water and Sanitation programme according to ‘Sphere standards’ in all Merlin supported locations in Aceh Jaya and Aceh Besar, and to ensure quality of works.
2. Manage the Water and Sanitation team in close coordination with the respective Project Coordinators.
3. Monitor the overall progress in the field, highlighting and reporting any delays or problems and generate solutions in coordination with senior staff, taking into consideration the village culture and customs.
4. Coordinate regularly with other departments (logistics/medical/health promotion) and keep them updated about time lines and plan of action
5. Ensure security procedures are followed and are up to date;
6. Attend coordination meetings in government and non-government agencies, as needed;
7. Participate in the discussion of program development and in the formulation of new program proposals;
8. Submit weekly and monthly reports on activities to line manager;
9. Responsible for overseeing the delivery time schedule of materials and monitoring all assets directly related to the construction of WatSan projects in Aceh Jaya and Aceh Besar in close coordination with the logistical departments in the projects and CMT.
10. Conduct regular WatSan team meetings to improve coordination and progress of the program;
11. Provide technical support to the Calang WatSan teams in a constructive way;
– Perform other necessary duties given by the Project Coordinators;
– Follow the standards, procedures and guidelines given by Merlin in accomplishing all tasks given.
– Support health promoters in the design and production of health and hygiene promotion material;
– Helping to manage the various projects watsan national staff team, including team building and conducting appraisals for the Calang WatSan team members.
– Assess the continuing training needs of the projects national staff and ensure training needs are being appropriately met and within budget
– Participation in the on-going monitoring of the security situation. Implementation of security measures according to Merlin security guidelines and monitoring of same.
– Assist to facilitate the evacuation of field based team, if necessary.
– Graduate of Civil Engineer and extensive Water & Sanitation experience in developing countries
– Previous experience of managing a team of Engineers
– Knowledge on water quality analysis
– Previous experience within a humanitarian aid organization in an insecure environment
– Strong management skills and the ability to organize
– Excellent communication skills, with good spoken and written English
– Good computer skills including Excel, Word etc
– Excellent management and personnel skills
– Ability and flexibility to understand the cultural and political environment and to work well with the local authorities
– Ability to remain calm and to be diplomatic
– Good team player. Able to live and work in remote and isolated area
– Able to problem solve, through leadership and team qualities
– Previous experience within the country or East Asia region
– Knowledge of local language (Bahasa)
– Extensive construction background and understanding of the technical aspects involved
To apply for this vacancy
Please download an application form from our website http://www.merlin.org.uk Completed applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org stating in the subject field the job title, country and reference number (if any).
Reference Code: RW_74CHJ9-92